Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Thirty-nine is fine

In two-three weeks I will be turning 39.  It is dangerously close to rolling over to 40.  I remember when that 3 was a 2 and I was approaching the big 30 and wondering if I had reached any of my goals set at the tender age of 18.  I don't even have a "by the time I am 40 " list.  I am just not that kind of girl. 

I am preparing to teach a lesson in Relief Society about temples.  I had forgotten that it took 40 years to build the Salt Lake City Temple.  That number has new meaning for me.  In my current lifetime the temple that I love so much and has blessed my life so much would be in the final year of being built.  Amazing!  I can't even begin to draw comparisons about what has been built in my life over the last 39 years.  I desire so much to have something as beautiful, inside and out, as the temple to show for my life here on this earth.  I have to say we are still under construction here.  I plan to spend more time at the temple that is only 5 minutes away from my home.  I know that going to the temple is a sure place to find the peace and happiness that everyone is searching for (including me), but strangely it is usually the last or final resource after stumbling through the trials of life.  My birthday present to me is to modify that behavior.  Won't it be exciting to see what will be built over the next year?  I can't wait. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for that post! It really put some things into perspective for me. I turned 39 in April and it was a good birthday but getting so close to 40 has been hard. I think it is because there are things that I haven't done, some that will never happen, and I've let that get to me. Anyway, your post was a perfect, and reminded me of what's important!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Jodi. Love the post.

    One of my friends said something to me about more frequent temple attendance: she said that she didn't really feel like she gained a lot of new insight or knowledge or have the mysteries of God opened to her. But that since she has been more regularly (I think she goes once a week...wow!) she feels so much more able to meet the demands of daily life. She feels the spirit more and simply feels more Christlike in her behaviors toward people.

    That was kind of eye opening for me because I have never been great at real regular attendance, and I always figured when I did go I should be getting some kind of answers. So it was good to hear about someone else's experience. Can't wait to hear more about yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday in 2 more days. The big lucky 13. I wonder if Danny may plan a surprise??

    ReplyDelete