Thursday, May 10, 2012

Springtime at the 1/2 acre

Yesterday we fired up the Orange Dream Machine and took a fun family outing the Pacific Steel and Recycing. What a place!  I have to tell you I had no idea such an adventure existed right in my very own city. 

I just realized after a quick review of my posts I have not really introduced you to "Orangie".  Once upon a time my husband came home very excited to tell me all about this steal of a deal he found. The county was having an auction of their older vehicles and it was our lucky day.  He put in a bid of $220 on a bright orange Oldsmobile pickup with a Bonneville County Landfill sign on the door.  He didn't feel a bit deterred by the two flat tires and the broken out drives window--easy fixes!  I will never forget the day he came home to tell me he received the winning phone call telling him to pick up his new prize.  I wouldn't be honest if I said I was happy for him.  I really didn't think he would win.  He brought it home and parked it proudly on the street to the side of our lot.  The county had graciously removed the sign from the door, but apparently didn't have time for a "proper detailen," as Mator would say.  I did my best with Clorox wipes and really just stepped aside as he tried to vacuum up, chip out, sweep, etc. dirt.   A  quick trip to the recycling place is a bit of a dream or maybe a threat of what is to come if Orangie doesn't behave himself. 

We earned a few bucks for the stuff we hauled to the recycling place--enough for drinks all around at the gas station.  Then it was back home to clean out the garage and clean out the garden.  Rider and Lydia were in heaven.  Our grand finale was a trip to the landfill since I had forgot to put our garbage out during the week. 

I think I just needed to write this to document how far I have come, or how much I have changed, or maybe how I have lowered my standards.  I am still a devout germ-a-phobe, but I really had a fun day with my little family.  Orangie has turned out to be a great adventure wagon in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment