Thursday, November 15, 2012

Books I love-Little Britches

Recently I became enamored with everything ever written by Ralph Moody.  It all started when I made the decision to home school my kiddos.  I have been exploring the never ending option of how to accomplish this.  I have covered the entire gamut of stereotypical strange home school children to "is that really legal" to almost perfect fit for us.  I am still settling on what is best for me and my family, but I did have a brief love affair with Thomas Jefferson Education.  It is a very interesting theory based on teaching from the classics.  I love good book recommendations and to this point have never focused on the "classics."  Little Britches is one of the recommendations for family reading.  Ralph Moody, the author, based this story on his life story.  He leaves the "city life" when he was young and moves west with his family to a ranch.  I loved everything about this story.  I felt like I was a part of the family and I longed to know more about them.  Lucky for me there are about ten books illustrating different phases of Ralph's childhood set against the great American backdrop in the late 1800s and 1900s.  I can't put a finger on what is so fantastic about these books.  Maybe it is just the honesty of their lives.  They worked hard and suffered, but they believed in God and they believed in their family.  They were happy in good times and bad.  It is so inspiring to read later books and see the fruits of a child raised with honesty and integrity.  I can't wait until my kids are old enough to read it again with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment