Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bonneville County Landfill

There is not much  my husband loves more than getting a steal of a deal.  I have learned many of his tricks of the frugal living trade in our short 4.5 years of marriage.  We disagree at times on the frugality of driving all over town to save a few pennies, but his recent bargain really makes him King Kong for a while. 

A few weeks ago he came home really excited about a silent bid going on down at the county impound.  He was particularly excited about one truck that had caught his eye.  It had all the makings of the "perfect spud harvest truck."  We are a one car family now since we sold Black Beauty, his Pontiac G6.  That really isn't a problem for us until Spud Harvest rolls around.   He went through all the highlights and low points and almost under his breath mentioned that is said "Bonneville County Landfill" on the side.  As you can probably imagine I was completely out at that point.  That is all I need a bright orange Landfill truck parked in my driveway.  There goes the neighborhood if you know what I mean. 

He put in his bid. ($256)  He carefully calculated his bid so that it was only a few dollars over what the junkyard would give him if he won and it was a total piece of junk.  The deadline came and went and I breathed a sigh of relief that he was not the winning bidder.  Then the call came in yesterday with some lame excuse like they couldn't read his phone number.  My husband was like a kid at Christmas.  He called his brother to help him go pick it up.  It just as three flat tires, a broken window, and a bit of garbage in the back--THATS ALL!  I am happy to report the Bonneville County Landfill was removed from the doors.  I feel just a smidge less white trash now.

It is proudly parked on the street to the north of our house.  I can only imagine what the neighbors are thinking.  Not only do they have to deal with the big Norco truck parked on the street, but now the Great Pumpkin has arrived. 

3 comments:

  1. i'm so glad to be reading your blog! hooray! and don't hate me, but i kind of like that truck. old trucks are kind of cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to take pictures in it! i love the orange!

    ReplyDelete