Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Popsicles

This morning I sat on the floor and ate Popsicles--the cheapo pretend Otter Pops from Winco.  I bought them a few weeks ago with a feeling of excitement for summer to arrive.  Rider has been eating them since the moment we brought them home and he has introduced Lydia to the fine art of Popsicle consumption.  She knows that you choose the color and then get the scissors and find mommy. 

It really wasn't that simple.  It all started with folding laundry and trying to remain focused to see the task through to the bitter end.  I felt determined today.  I was not distracted by the entire memory game exploded all over the floor, or the parking lot of hot wheels race cars strewn around every visible corner in my living room, or that all three of us (mommy, Rider, & Lydia) were still in jammies.   The real problem was with little miss Lydia.  Today was not her best day.  Actually she has not been herself for a few days.  I suspect she doesn't feel well and maybe she is just exercising her princess rights to be demanding--we are not sure.  It so happens that mommies have limits and mine was nearly met today.  I felt frustrated with my 13 month old daughter.  I told myself that I was a bad mom for feeling that way.  Instead of putting the laundry down I just let her back her little self up to me and plop in my lap and I showed her how I could fold underwear even with a screaming child on my lap.  Our typical scene would include Rider doing something extra naughty to send me over the proverbial top, but not today.  He assessed the scene and went and gathered Popsicles for everyone.  He even served Lydia's with a kiss and some comforting words in his little cookie monster-like voice.  I felt immediately humbled.   I will never forget this.

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy to see your blog up and going again. It is so nice to see what is going on in your life since I never get to talk to you anymore!! Love you though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! It is nice to hear what is going on in your life since I never get to talk to you anymore! But even though we don't speak much I do love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you are blogging again. Popscicles are so wonderful. Just remember we have to have crazy days to enjoy the peaceful days even more.
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete