Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Dirt

This blog began with the debut of our humble garden among the rocks and weeds of our yard.  We mostly grew Zucchini and pumpkins.  Everything else was really not even eatable.  Then I caught the square foot gardening bug and became a devoted follower of Mel Bartholomew the inventor of the square foot gardening craze much to my husbands dismay. 



We are at it again.  I am all fired up again about my garden and I have been nursing some plant starts that I bought on mother's day.  It has been so cold we didn't dare plant anything.  Today I started to get into my beautiful dirt.  You see with Square Foot Gardening it is all about the dirt or as it is affectionately called "Mel's Mix."  I am not as converted to the dirt as I was in the beginning.  It isn't as magical as Mel made it seem.  My husband has snuck in a bunch of fertilizer and weeds actually do grow.  I am still committed to my man Mel and think this year will be the year that my little boxes bloom.  A pulled a few weeds and sprinkled some water and look what already started to grow.  I think this flower is my best work. 

2 comments:

  1. I like that cute flower too! I need to work on growing such a cute flower as her. I am so impressed by your square foot gardening. I need to learn how to do that since we don't have so much space for a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. go you! your garden is looking great! i wish i could garden, but i just can't. make. myself. do. it.

    ReplyDelete