Monday, May 30, 2011

We are Family

Belonging to a big family is a dream come true.   I guess belonging to a family in general can be a dream come true if it circumstances allow.  It is something I think I really want to write more about.  I love to see the children in our home begin to realize that they belong to a family with brothers, sister, grandmas and grandpas, cousins, aunts and uncles.  It feels great to be adopted into a family tree with roots that are deep and nourished.  I don't think our children will understand for a very long time that there is more to all the fun family parties that we have.  I am just now beginning to understand how it was even possible for my extended family to get together and create loving memories and traditions.  For now our kids just expect it as a part of their safe and secure environment and we are going to continue to nourish that expectation. 


Our Rider Boy turned three on Sunday.  He had two parties, one at each grandparents home.  He isn't really a big fan birthday parties, and I dare anybody to try and sing Happy Birthday to him without getting slugged.  One thing is certain--he loves to visit his grandparents and great grandparents homes.  He has his own little special traditions at each of their homes.  This year he was old enough to actually open his own birthday presents before his big brother opened them for him.  He  sat still long enough to open presents and blow out candles and then he was gone on the four wheeler with Daddy for most of the night.  Somehow we left his party last night with some Monster Trucks, a toy four wheeler, an Elmo kite, and three cousins with their jammies.  We got home at about 11 p.m.  and I think everyone finally snuggled down for the night at 12:30 a.m.  I felt overwhelmed at the idea of having six children in my home for one day and two nights, but I felt so excited and grateful for our kids to be with their family.  It is really what this life is all about.  At this point I think I would do just about anything to make sure my kids are always a part of this huge crazy family tree.  It is the only way they will be happy--I know this for certain.

2 comments:

  1. I love big families too! I love seeing all the cousins together. We miss all the crazy times awe hear you guys get to do. Tell Rider happy birthday from us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had sooo much fun meeting you finally!..totally agree with the big family thing.. I love being at peggy's house. I told Brandon on the way back to calgary that I think thats what heaven is going to feel like. Happy family ..with tremendous amounts of love

    ReplyDelete